вторник, 22 сентября 2009 г.

Does Keynsham exist?

'Does Keynsham exist? I'd hate to see it, it would be just as disappointing as actually seeing the Taj Mahal. That and the Tate Gallery were some of my earliest disappointments, I'd prefer to think and dream about it for myself. I can imagine Horace, ensconced in his palace with jewels and slaves and nubians waving fronds and having his body perfumed everyday and with these infra-draw systems that constantly send in cornucopias and increase the wealth and the whole thing swells and explodes- ... in some small way Keynsham has taken over today from Mecca, Valhalla and even Heaven. What else is there to break the barrier of red tape except for winning the pools and getting a lot of money. I like the idea of that immensely, I think pools and that sort of thing is super, the more stockings we can get at Xmas in this dreary pavement the better. The whole thing is boredom, my god the whole world worships boredom. All working towards it. Anyway it seemed a good idea to make it the capital of madness. Normality is what each person considers to be normal things to do . . . whatever I do is what I think to be normal. Its normal to make some compromise to a general Tightness. Its incredible that people like me are viewed as freakish. Illogical. Keynsham in general terms is the ID. Inhabited by all the things that I've told and led you to believe are not normal. Humm, that exhausts that boring thing . . . next one please . . . what's your favourite colour . . . ? Terms Of Service

'In general our concerts are put together by apes who are limited to getting what they, in their own particular swamp, think your most commercial attributes. I just hope that half of the past pub­licity things about us have been obvious to the people who read them—just must have made them sick. How many people are supposed to be the No. 1 in England. In the States we had this thing that said 'Bonzo Dog No. 1 in England'. Then it had two pictures of our album, very badly designed and at the bottom in dayglow letters it said 'dig?' . . . question mark really big. Can you imagine the thinking behind that? The perverts who sat around a table thinking, what's the name of this band? Heavy today, a ... fine ... or I think we'll use prog today . . . They think people are all sitting around flicking their fingers and going Crazy, man, groovy. They really think people are like that. Or do they feel that its all past any measure of sincerity or principles and the whole hype process is a load of shit? People don't want to buy, they look at this and say shit ... I hope they do, I pray they do All these things, labels, letterheads and so on can be used to give little insights of information to people. I'm not particularly interested in the people who think we are freaks. I must make that clear . . . The way in which we shall work will sell us to a very large audience. I want to entertain. I want to make shows. I'm not trying to sell a message, only as a framework. The way in which I say it will be entertaining as a complete thing and make it palatable. If there is any purpose or message it is to underline the fact that everyone is freakish. On different levels. I can't see that any of my ideas are particularly contrary to those of sup­posedly normal people. I try to talk in the currency of ideals not financial demagogy. Currently I'm trying to have some hand in the campaign for Keynsham because it is so important that what one says what one means, if at all possible. We think its the best thing we have ever done. I can't believe that we've done it. There must be some genie of the grooves or evil troll that will muck things up. After all these years; of being screwed up and told how useless I am. Everyone has this myth that there is something special about the record business, a certain initiation ceremony or certain tatoos on your buttocks to enable you to be an agent. And it comes astonishingly relevant, a mindblower to find that you could do anything. It is a wonderful exciting time that people can make films and records and do them in their own way and make actual brass for someone. If its not buggered up by the same diseases that make established industry what it is there could be marvellous things happening. I loathe the limita­tions that the price range and the whole system puts on things, everything. The price of the albums should be determined by the artistic merit of the thing and the artistic merit should go hand in glove with the time it took to make it. Its a shame that I'm not allowed by my own morality to make records of other things. We had some very interesting conversations on 'Shirt'. Some of them went on and I thought they were valid. One can only put out a certain amount of talk on a two pound record but it would be nice if you could put out a ten bob talk record. Or something that you thought was interesting. What represents a bloke is what he creates, the only thing by which he can be judged. It realiy is perverted, some of it. I don't think it'll be discovered. The sleeve notes are here but most people will just take them as arbitrary dada spewings laced with a bit of fun.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий